Sunday, December 13, 2009

I finished something besides Christmas presents....

Moss Fern Wrap
Moss Fern Wrap by Kimberly K. McAlindin, from Interweave Crochet, Fall 2009. Done in Unplanned Peacock's merino/silk laceweight. I made mine a bit smaller as a shop sample and I think it will be lovely as a small and snug scarf when I decide it's MINE!

Other than that it's all been about knitting Christmas presents. I don't do this often, so it's requiring some concentration. Fun, though. I've been getting up early to knit and listen to my favorite podcasts out there, Electric Sheep, Brass Needles, the Knitmore Girls. Even Knitting in the Round. But, woe is me (we watched A Christmas Carol last night) my brand-spanking-new 6 week old RCA mp3 player died a couple of days ago. Just quit after a few whimpers and connection issues with the computer. I did all the usual poking around on the Internet looking for fixes and finally caved and contacted the company. They said return it, with the receipt. Of course I didn't keep the receipt....generally I never have to look at the things again. Totally my fault but I'm miffed 'case I figure things ought to be made right in the first place. I know...I should have been born in the 19th Century.

Anyway, I tweeted my woes and a fantastic and almost complete stranger in Canada offered to send me her player, since she has an iPhone and doesn't need it. How cool is that? It's really not the player so much as the thoughtfulness...that someone would reach out across the continent to help out....kind of restores this old cynic's faith in human nature a bit, you know?

It was supposed to be icy today but it's just raining. Not so picturesque but safer. I didn't realize it but last Tuesday's ice storm broke out a lot of timber here in Meadows of Dan and up the Parkway. There are limbs down by the Baptist Church and we saw a lot of jagged tree tops when we traveled up to Chateau Morrisette for the open house yesterday. Lovely at the winery as usual, by the way and nice to visit with people that I don't see often enough.

We put up a different daybed/sofa thing for me to sleep on, and it's much more comfortable. Room for the dogs. This morning I woke up with both of them snug at my feet and a kitten purring on my pillow!

No comments: