Friday, August 07, 2009

Taking a Deep Breath.....

Vintage collectible and souvenir spoons
Vintage and collectible spoons at Greenberry House

I'm sitting here reminding myself to STOP for a minute. It has been a busy week, with the usual good stuff along with getting ready for the Meadows of Dan Folk Fair tomorrow. There have been a few more errands and a bit of advertising work extra but I'm looking forward to the event.

I had a nice surprise when I posted about the Folk Fair on my Facebook page this morning. Deb Goodrich invited me to call in to her radio show way out in Kansas to talk about the Folk Fair and my shop! It was great to talk to her after so many years. We went to school together and Deb is a talented author with a deep interest in local and Civil War history. It was wonderful to reconnect!

I spent most of the Sunday pricing our auction finds from Saturday so they'd be here for people to see at the Folk Fair. Lots of lovely vintage linens and fabrics, books (of course) and some really interesting collectible spoons. Some are older souvenir spoons and others are truly unique...there are some made of old coins, some sterling and some lovely silver plate.

Little wagon
Little Wagon at Mountain Meadow Farm and Craft Market

It's still all about the garden here on my days "off" and I've been picking peas and replanting lettuce in the hopes of having a fall crop. I really enjoyed my Black Seeded Simpson until things got too hot and it bolted. I've been getting tomatoes every day and mixing them in with lovely squash and eggplant I bought locally at Sue's market. Sue got this cunning little decorative wagon from J. D. Briles (336-462-1369) down in North Carolina. It looks great beside her shop.

Wednesday was one of those lovely, perfect mountain summer days. Sunshine, a light breeze and a thunderstorm in the evening. I got out early walked with friend Kym and the dogs, and we enjoyed the last of the moonlight as the day dawned. Then I played in the garden most of the morning, weeding out, replanting, and just enjoying the smell of earth as I picked and shelled peas. Finally I sheared one of my older rabbits, grand dame Highland Mary, sitting out under the spruce trees. She went to sleep and I nearly nodded off myself in the quiet!

Late in the day a thunderstorm blew up, and I settled in with the dogs napping by my side to spin more of the Texel roving. I finished one bobbin and I really like the variations in color from light to dark blue. Natalie and I talked about Texel on our little podcast last week, and I think this week we're going to talk quite a bit more about Natalie and her dyeing and fiber projects. I hear that "What's Needlin' Ewe" is going to be opening in Mount Airy on August 20! I'm going to try to figure out a way to get to the grand opening on September 5!

No comments: