Friday, August 14, 2009

August Mornings

Morning in Meadows of Dan
August Morning in Meadows of Dan

It's hard to capture how beautiful a summer morning can be here. Every leaf and blade of grass is shining with crystals of dew and the early light chases wisps of mist across the fields. Lazy clouds drift across the skies, riding an easy breeze that only hints at the briskness of the coming fall.

Touch me not!
Don't touch me!

This time of year I love getting out early, for my walk with Kym and the dog fellows and for a bit of gardening here and there. The weeds have slowed down a bit, either that or I've just become accustomed to their presence! This week I made a little tomato sauce but the tomatoes haven't really started coming in. The peas are about done and I've cut the heads off the broccoli. Still waiting on Brussels sprouts to do something and the half-runner beans are just now blooming.

Watermelon
Baby watermelon

Very glad to see how these guys are coming along. I really wasn't sure how well watermelon would do "on the mountain" but I think we'll have some nice ones. Nothing to rival those of the great watermelon growing areas...

There are still more wonderful new items at Greenberry House, all local and all special.

Gorgeous yarns by Claudia Hurt
Sparkle and Softness, Gorgeous Yarns by Claudia Hurt of Blacksburg, Virginia

Lampwork Beads by Silverfish Designs
Elegant Lampwork Beads by Silverfish Designs

Moss Creek Farm Soaps
Enchanting Scented Soaps by Moss Creek Farm

No comments: