Sunday, June 21, 2009

A Few Last Thoughts About Estes Park

River through Estes Park
River through Estes Park

The town was lovely and the people were so friendly. I did get a chance to visit a yarn shop, called The Stitchin' Den, in a lovely space just off the main street of shops. Showed it to Cathy and Mike, who had never been there and were very much impressed. I had sort of met Susan, the president, on-line at Ravelry and she was so gracious. When I first went in it was quiet and I bought three skeins of yarn which I'll be adding to my Ravelry stash soon. When I went back with Cathy and Mike the place was packed!

Knitting by the river
Knitting by the river

This area is a destination for tourists, of course, because of the beauty of the mountains, the parks, the hiking trails, and all the shops. There is so much space, though, that it rarely felt crowded to me.

Lily Lake
At Lily Lake

It's hard to convey how beautiful these mountains are, and how the town seems to be surrounded by them. I took so many pictures, and they just don't capture the real beauty. Maybe it's the heights, the starkness, the color, or just the wide skies that make it so different there in Colorado.

Tiny purple flowers
Tiny Purple Flowers

And not all the beauty was on a grand scale. The whirl of a hummingbird's wings, darting chipmunks, tiny purple, blue and white flowers, a swirl of water in a quiet spot of the river, the whisper of a breeze in a pine tree, the sight of the sun on a dancing limb of pale gray leaves...so much to move, to rest the eyes, to relax.

Chapel on the Rock
Chapel on the Rock

And not everything beautiful was created by nature, although the natural setting certainly made those created by man more beautiful. This is a chapel at a Catholic retreat center several miles from Estes Park. Coming across it so deep in the mountains is an astonishing experience. The first time I saw it eight years ago there was no one around and I had no idea of the story. This time there were several tourists but everyone was so quiet, and so respectful. I was able to sit alone in the chapel for a little while. The stone walls create a deep and spiritual silence.

No comments: