Friday, July 05, 2019

Peace Like a River by Leif Enger


Peace Like a River by Leif Enger

This may be my best book of 2019, although I'll reserve judgement for awhile in case I come across something better. It's possible, but I loved the lyrical writing of this novel and everything about the characters and the story. It's a coming of age and one of the finest of the type that I've ever read. The young narrator's very human story was comic and touching and the setting was delightful. OK, the author was absolutely channeling Harper Lee and C. S. Lewis poked his head in during one of the final chapters, but the book doesn't suffer for it at all because the writing was interesting and the bit of mysticism added some originality and was thought provoking. A good read that I am surprised I hadn't found before.

What I'm spinning: A lot of this and that for a colorful designer yarn
What I'm knitting: Socks! Who would have thought?
What I'm crocheting: Super Fine Sampler Blanket
What I'm reading: Death of a Kingfisher by M. C. Beaton
Current sounds & sights for spinning along: Cocaine Blues by Kerry Greenwood (Audible Book)
How the diet is going: 43 pounds down and holding

No comments: