Thursday, November 09, 2017

Book Review: The Girls in the Picture by Melanie Benjamin

34748722

 I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an unbiased review. This fictionalized account of the friendship between Mary Pickford and Frances Marion was both fascinating and informative. Frances Marion was a talented screenwriter who got her start with Mary Pickford during the early days of silent films in Hollywood. The story is interesting and I think the author captured the realities of a friendship between two strong women who struggled to balance careers, marriage and motherhood during a time when careers for women were rare. The novel is also a portrait of a century of change, following the beginnings of movies from the early and innocent days of creative art through the times when the industry became big business. I enjoyed the story, the setting, the characters and will look for other books by this author.

What I'm spinning: Plying merino singles with gorgeous hand dyed alpaca
What I'm knitting: This and that
What I'm crocheting: Slip stitiched bags
What I'm reading: See above
Current sounds & sights for spinning along: Six Feet Under

No comments: