Thursday, January 16, 2014

Snow at Last!


Snow in Meadows of Dan

We finally had some snow yesterday afternoon and into the evening. Not a lot but by the middle of January we have often had a good bit more snow than we've seen this year. With the cold temperatures, it seems that we deserve to at least see some pretty along with the chill.

Morning chores with the chickens
It was 13 degrees when I got up this morning so I waited until after the sun had been up quite awhile before I went to let the chickens out. Their dirt run was snowed over so I spread out some hay we had tucked away to cover up the snow and mud. I thought I had spread it out better than this but by the time I had a chance to take the picture the chickens had been doing some housekeeping and rearranging of the hay. Even though the air temperature was just 19, melting ice was dripping off the edge of the coop overhang.

We saw lots of tracks in the new snow as I walked with Emma along Concord Road. She is mostly head down, nose alert, along the way. Sometimes I wonder if she has a mental image to connect with all the scents she discovers. Does she know that this scent means a fox, or that one a deer? I know she has seen deer and squirrels and mice, but I don't know that she has seen every animal that crosses our path. She finds some scents so exciting that she vibrates over them, curly tail electrified. Others are merely worth a sniff and a glance. Often she ignores the tracks I can see in favor of a trail invisible. A squirrel scampered across the road in front of us this morning, leaving the corn maze for the shelter of the little woods.

Today will be a day of catching up and cleaning house. The dogs are sleeping sound after a big romp in the snow and the wood stove is crackling. The sun outside is already melting the snow away and the sky is a brilliant blue.

What I'm spinning: Hand dyed Border Springs Farm Texel Roving
What I'm knitting: Paula Reversible Poncho by Lena Holme Samsoe
What I'm crocheting: Everything is resting
What I'm reading: Calling Invisible Women by Jeanne Ray
Current sounds & sights for spinning along: Campion Mystery series
How the diet is going: Lots of exercise

No comments: