Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Thank Goodness It's a Beautiful Day

because it's already been one of those. Things had been going pretty well. We got to the gym just as it opened (at 5:30 AM) and had a good workout. Easy trip home and I took a little nap and got some laundry started. It's a bright sunny day with a lovely breeze, not so hot and towels are waving lazily on the line. BUT the power blinked. Just blinked. And when I turned around the monitor was blank. No little blue light. Nothing. Now I'm working with the monitor from the OLD computer that preceded the laptop! Way it goes, I guess.

Storybook Dreams Alm Uncle
Storybook Dreams Alm Uncle (Maybe)

Here's a face to cheer anyone, and it was fun going down to the bunny house this morning to be greeted by happy, active rabbits. It doesn't have to cool down much to make a difference to the rabbits, now that they're all in short coats. Except some of the young ones. They were all eager for breakfast this morning and happy with the cooler breezes. This is the debut of the bunny pictured above, a lovely nine week old buck from Storybook Dreams in Maryland. Susan is a teacher and names her rabbits after characters in children's books. I love the idea but this fellow's mother is named Heidi. There are a few male characters in the book, of course, but none of the names seem to fit this fellow. I'm thinking maybe I could get away with Puff Magic, sort of after Puff the Magic Dragon. It's a song rather than a book, but the sire of this buck is called Puff Daddy. Whatever I finally call this fellow won't affect the fact that he's a sweetheart from new bloodlines that I hope will be good for my herd!

pretty boy
Another look at the Storybook boy

Yesterday I went up to visit the favorite cousin and we had a nice talk while Dad went up to the clinic for a check-up. I started a turquoise scarf that is a special order for a customer's granddaughter, and was able to get a few rows done during the day. Then Dad and I headed up to the feed store to restock. There was an afternoon thunderstorm; not a big one but rain. Again. Last night I tried to wind a little yarn after doing some computer work but time flew by and I knew today would have an early start.

Misty's litter
Misty's bunnies

Greenberry's Misty has done a fine job with her litter. They are shaping up to be solid bodied little creatures with nice poofy faces. Misty was very protective when the bunnies were small but now she lets me pet them and they are becoming a very friendly litter. The father is a chocolate buck, one of my favorites in personality and these babies should make great pets, breeders and woolers. They carry chocolate because of the father and Misty had two chocolate bunnies, which means she carries chocolate as well. Even though these are albino and don't show their genetics, chocolate bunnies should appear if they are bred to a rabbit that carries the chocolate gene.

Amber's litter
Amber's litter

And Greenberry's Amber is a fantastic mother that has raised eight of her nine bunnies effortlessly. I have only had one mother that seemed to be affected by the trials of motherhood; I never bred her again because it just seemed to hard on her little body to take care of the litter. Amber striped all of her wool off and looks very silly, but otherwise she is in good condition and the bunnies are healthy and happy. Of course, all but one of the bunnies is white! This type of litter is fun; they all crowd to the front of the cage to see what you are doing when you come in. It's a little hard to see in the picture but the black bunny is sitting up to see me!

moth love
Moth Love

Can you see the two yellow moths on the blue wildflower?

No comments: